Asus Eee PC 1015PX netbook

I got this Asus Eee PC 1015PX (aka eee pc r051px) netbook about 2 weeks ago, from JBHIFI for about $400. I also got an external DVD burner and got a $20 discount, or something like that. (review) (official)

This was an upgrade from an Acer [Acer Aspire One NAV50 (aka AO532 N450 spec);since 20100413] because I felt that I needed a faster machine to do some 1080p video editing. This new one has a 1.6GHz dual core atom with DDR3.


NOTES:

  • ubuntu works well out of the box
  • only one speaker
  • bluetooth works well with with external Logitech speaker; but once connected it does not disconnect and revert to built in speaker without rebooting.
  • screen could be brighter, speaker could be louder, the right shift could be bigger rather than next to the enter key, the screen could open up more
  • this netbook has a mat screen which is less effective to wipe, unlike my previous acer with a glossy screen
  • thick
  • mic sound quality is crappy (not unlike the Acer), but I suppose it needs different drivers but who knows
  • track pad works well with 2 finger scroll
  • comes with a 6 cell battery and a tiny power supply wall wart, which is nice
  • power connector is small and does not look like it can take much punishment
  • SD card reader works out of the box
  • boots pretty fast
  • I swapped out the original HDD for my Corsair 32GB SSD that I already had in the Acer; getting inside the case via the keyboard was a pain
  • 1080p HD video from my dslr does not play smoothly at all




MY WORKSTATION HISTORY
Kogan Atlas laptop [w Sandisk 120GB SSD]
Acer Aspire One AAO D270 netbook laptop [w Corsair 32GB SSD]
Asus Eee PC 1015PX netbook laptop [w Corsair 32GB SSD]
Acer Aspire One AAO 543h netbook laptop [w Corsair 32GB SSD]
Asus eee pc 701 netbook laptop
Acer Aspire laptop
OEM laptop
OEM desktops

Comments