Sunday, August 28, 2011

Huawei Sonic

-btw- this handset died on me after a month

I got the Huawei Sonic (U8650) last weekend -- from South Granville Woolworths for $188 unlocked.

I've been wanting an android 2.3 for a while, but off course the Samsung Galaxy S2 is just out of my price range.

This handset is a downgrade from my previous Ideos X5. It has a lesser CPU, less screen resolution, and a lesser camera. Nonetheless I chose to continue with the Huawei bonanza of Woolworths Android proliferation -- also all former handsets get handed down to needy friends. Anyway, I a google fanboy. This is my third Huawei android in 18 months and not likely to be the last.


Notes:
  • responsiveness is sluggish at times
  • the headphones jack is compatible with ubiquitous iphone headsets (unlike my last 2 androids)
  • directional finder seems to use a proper 3D compass, so it points your gps screen in the correct direction no matter how you hold it [revision: after Maps updates, the direction finder is on the fritz, and I can't find any setting options that corrects it]
  • the Google goggles app does not work, or even install -- error message is "This item is not compatible with your device." Based on my reads, it has something to do with not having an auto focus camera. wtf, it's just just a camera
  • 11 September 2011, touchscreen suddenly became unresponsive. Rebooting did not help. Contacted the manufacturer twice via http://huaweimobile.com.au/contact -- NO RESPONSE :: RIP 11-09-11
  • factory reset :: remove battery, insert the battery, hold down volume up and power buttons for about 12 seconds. that will get to the Android system recovery screen. use volume up down for menu and power button to select

No comments: